Monday 30 April 2012

Carrier bags and charity - Claire Squires for The Samaritans

Hi folks,

Last month marked not only the end of the finanical year, but also the end of the current financial quarter and the end of the latest period of collecting money for charity from our sales of carrier bags.

This is our fourth full quarter and together we raised £9.20!

Last time I made a donation to Shelter. This time, following all the media coverage of the tragic death of Claire Squires during the London Marathon, I've donated it to her JustGiving page. She was raising money for The Samaritans when she collapsed near the end of the course, and could not be revived. My thoughts are with her family.

The Samaritans are very dear to me. They offer a friendly ear when it can feel like no one else will. A few years ago, after my Mum had passed away, I had a burning desire to do "something" and I volunteered for The Samaritans here in Cheltenham. At the end of an initial interview, the two people from the charity kindly but firmly told me I was welcome to reapply in future years, but I simply wasn't ready at this time. It was the correct decision and I'm very grateful to them for that.

Anyway, thanks everyone. For more about Claire, please Google her story. I found Russell Howard's coverage on Good New very moving.

The next carrier bag donation will be mid-summer. If you have a charity you'd like Proud Lion to support, please email me at shop@proudlion.co.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment